Saturday, January 2, 2010

happy new year and stewed tomatoes, too

happy new year to you all. here's hoping that 2010 will be even better than 2009. i already know it is more fun to say-"twenty ten, yeah baby". most folks here in the south started their new year off with a big ol'helping of black eyed peas for good luck. not me, maybe i should have and then ran out and bought a lottery ticket to check effectiveness. i did butter beans instead.

i don't think they offer any form of luck, gas maybe, but not luck. well, what's luckless butter beans without stewed tomatoes?


hey, maybe i am lucky, 'cause i love these things. they are ridiculously easy to make and so flavorful. i made a small batch, basically for myself, because the rest of the family went into hiding when they caught wind of what was on the dinner menu. their loss, my gain. stewed tomatoes are nothing like the ones you buy in the can at your local mega mart. my tomatoes start out that way, but end up sweet and buttery, pure southern goodness. they may not photograph well, but the taste makes up for their lack of beauty. enjoy.



beth's stewed tomatoes

1 can of petite diced tomatoes(15oz)
1/3 stick of butter
2 slices of white bread, cubed
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 salt
fresh black pepper

in a saucepan over medium heat,warm your tomatoes. i smash them a little with a potato masher to break them up more. now, add all your ingredients and heat through, stirring often. let them cook for five-ten minutes. taste. you might need to adjust your ingredients to your liking. i like mine sweet and buttery. oh, i also highly recommend you use butter, not margarine, it's a big difference. it certainly is not diet food. stewed tomatoes, you can easily double the recipe, use any bread you like, mix it up. it is so easy and forgiving. stewed tomatoes are so tasty mixed with your butter beans, black eyed peas, corn, you name it. go make a batch tonight.

6 comments:

TeaLady said...

As long as it is a legume you are in good shape. Like the stewed maters recipe. Nice healthy start to the 10 in 10

Leslie said...

Gas indeed!!!! lol

lobstersandwich said...

Hi Beth:
Thx so much for visiting my blog. Its too bad your google follow widget doesn't work. I would join up in a heart beat. But I WILL regularly check out your posts.

I LOVE butter beans.Will do your recipe very soon.

I've been putting all those( who have blogs& who have joined my google follow option ) at the top of my blog in my "Saucy List". Would be thrilled to include your blog address. When you get a moment, just click on my "google follow" widget.Would love to count you in.

Will be back soon. Happy New Year
SAUCY

lobstersandwich said...

Hey...THANKS
xxo
SAUCY

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Tomato sauces are a staple in our home....but I never add butter. I usually boil up a huge pot and then freeze in little portions.

Happy New Year!

Mireya said...

I love cooked tomatoes! I will definitely be trying this!