Friday, October 8, 2010

ginger scones

for the second week of the 12 weeks of christmas cookies i opted to make epicurious' ginger scones and i am glad i did. these ginger scones, unlike last week's cookie flop, are good. they were a little frustrating at times and i know i over handled the dough a bit, but overall they turned out pretty dang tasty. the scones were not exactly the prettiest ones i have ever made or seen. i was getting so irritated with the dough that i haphazardly cut them out with my biscuit cutter. when i began, the dough was too dry, then sticky, then soft and generally ticking me off! i was loosing my patience, so i just plopped them all onto my silpat and threw'em in the oven. well, i let them get too brown, oops, no harm done.


can you can see the candied ginger? i purchased a bag from trader joe's and boy howdy, does it have a bite. i diced it on the tennie weenie side. there is not only a great ginger kick, but a tart lemon punch, too. well, more like a lemon tickle from lemon zest. what a great flavor combination those two are, wow. you know, i would make these ginger scones again. truthfully, there were pretty simple and....


i like'em. enjoy.

Week 2 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:


11 comments:

Pam said...

I love how you made these "cookie sized" - what a unique idea for goodie trays!

April said...

They are so pretty with the pieces of ginger showing!

TeaLady said...

THESE look really tasty. And with the ginger pieces showing - perfection!!

Lisa said...

Yum, ginger lemon scones sound wonderful. These would be just the thing to serve for a Christmas breakfast.

Sue said...

I have only made scones once, but I plan on making some during this cookie fest:) Your scones turned out beautifully! Ginger is so perfect for Christmas!

Megan said...

Mmm - lemon and ginger is a terrific combo - sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the dough - although it was funny to read about.

Anonymous said...

Ginger is so festive! i love candied ginger. dumping them into scones sounds like a darn good idea!

Katrina said...

I have come to really like ginger over the last few years. And I LOVE scones!

Bonnie said...

I love scones and these look wonderful. I love the addition of the candied ginger.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Ooh, I love scones! They look awesome despite all the trouble they gave you!

Melynda said...

These look amazing! I need to go looking for some candied ginger!