Tuesday, April 6, 2010

hummingbird cake


no hummingbirds were harmed in the making of this baked good. i promise. i saw this recipe in the latest issue of the foodnetwork magazine and thought it would be perfect for easter. it was. it was a big hit with the whole three adults who attended lunch. my kids, they were too busy stuffing their cake holes with candy. i tasted a small bite for reviewing purposes, only. it tasted like carrot cake, well sorta, except for the bananas. it was moist, dense and flavorful. the cake is chockful of toasted pecans, banana chunks and pineapple tidbits. the only changes i made the network's masterpiece was to use can pineapple rather than fresh. oh and fyi, the cream cheese frosting recipe listed makes a ton, delicious, but way too much. yes, sometimes you can have too much icing, hard to believe, but true. i ended up stashing the leftovers covered in the fridge. hmmmmm, do i sense red velvet cupcakes in the future, only time will tell.

anywho, this cake is a definite keeper and a do over, again and again. once you try it i think you will agree. enjoy.

6 comments:

TeaLady said...

LOVE hummingbird cake. You should try and find Martha Stewart's version. It is outstanding.

Glad you liked it. It is a beautiful cake.

April said...

It looks delish! I don't know if I have ever had hummingbird cake..maybe I need to try it!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

I only heard of hummingbird cake recently, it sounds great. Yours looks delicious.

Debbie said...

I have seen this cake many times but never made it. It looks so good. I will definitely have to add this to my "to bake" folder, even though it's already buldging!!!

Pam said...

I've never heard of hummingbird cake before. It looks moist and so delicious.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I think I could justify this to myself. It's practically got your 5 a day in it!