Thursday, April 15, 2010

karly's granola bars


so, as many of you know i have been on a granola kick lately. i started making my own to satisfy my need to eat breakfast, but lack of desire to do so. it has been a great help keeping my blood sugar stable with no crashes mid-day. now, i am getting borred, so i started thinking granola bars. i went searching on the internet and found karly, her great blog, "buns in my oven" and her even greater granola bar recipe! what a beautiful blog chock full of delicious recipes and incredible photography. i want to be karly when i grow up. when i originally found her site/recipe, i wrote her telling her i had all, but one ingredient to make these and guess what? she immediately wrote me back, like we were long lost buds. that's what i love about my fellow foodies, we are long lost buds getting (re)acquainted. see, it doesn't even matter if you have a successful site like miss karly or a humble little blog like mine. we all can get along.

anywho, let's get back to the granola bars. they are easy, delicious, moist and full of flavor. move over quaker, there is no need to buy your bars ever again, really. these come together in a snap and bake up beautifully. i did make a couple of changes to karly's original recipe. i used a combo of dark chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut flakes and dried cranberries with a splash of almond extract. i was out of vanilla, oh the horrors! other than that, it is the same. i hope you will go pay "buns in my oven" a visit. i know i need to do some more prowling around there myself. i recall seeing a peanut buttery, chocolaty thingie listed. hmmmm....enjoy.

3 comments:

Karly said...

Your bars look delicious! I love the chocolate and cranberry mix.

And, wow, have I ever got a big head now! ;) Thanks for the sweet words!

sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

I made granola for the first time 2 weeks ago and I had high hopes of turning it into bars or something but it tastes too darned good, there's already hardly any of it left and I made like 1.5 kilos of the stuff. I'll have to bear these in mind for next time.

sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

I made granola for the first time 2 weeks ago and I had high hopes of turning it into bars or something but it tastes too darned good, there's already hardly any of it left and I made like 1.5 kilos of the stuff. I'll have to bear these in mind for next time.