Thursday, May 21, 2009

nothing special slaw


now, my coleslaw is simple. there is nothing special or fancy about it. there are no carrots, onions or any extra "stuff" in it. i make it like my mama and my grandmother made theirs. it is so easy. you simply grate(i use my processor) a head of cabbage, core removed, into a big mixing bowl. okay, maybe i lied just a little at this point, if there is going to be a hard part to this it's now. to the grated cabbage i add the following ingredients, but i don't measure, sorry. what i do is i start off with a big spoonful of good mayonnaise (i like duke's), a good dousing of apple cider vinegar, a healthy sprinkling of white sugar and a pinch of kosher salt. I stir to mix and give it a taste. i add what i think the slaw needs, too dry, more mayo, too sour, more sugar, too sweet, more vinegar and so on. go slow, take your time, because you can always add in, but you can't take out. also, when i get it where i want it, then out comes the big guns-my secret ingredient, shhhhhh-sour cream. i add a heaping spoonful to the mixture. it gives it a nice creamy twang. now it's best to make your coleslaw hours if not a day before you are going to eat it. it gets so much better as it sits and the flavors mingle.

that's it folks, nothing to it. nothing else like it. nothing special.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I think this sounds great! Simple and quick recipes are my favorite. Nothing says summer like cole slaw.

Anonymous said...

Loved Mama's cole slaw UM UM GOOD CRACKER